Split the Blogs

06 April 2017

Since the beginning when I rebuilt my blog with JBake, I intended to split and restyle the photography work from the tech work.

The photo work just disappeared from here, so now it can be found at John Flinchbaugh Photography.

Both sites are rebuilt whenever new content is pushed to their respective git repositories.


JBake with MarkupTemplateEngine

03 November 2016

JBake 2.5.0 got support for the MarkupTemplateEngine, so I wanted to give it a try, since structured code will be nicer than extreme scriptlet stuff that was happening in the original Groovy template example. The stock MTE example shows off MTE templates, but it also switched to Foundation in place of Bootstrap.

I’ve been looking forward to really learning Bootstrap for work and my personal projects, so I’m not looking to switch frameworks right now, so I rebuilt my own example project with MTE and Bootstrap based on the original Groovy/Bootstrap sample I had previously used.

Hopefully, I’ll get a little feedback and the JBake people will incorporate my contribution.


JBake

05 January 2016

I’ve moved the blog to a static site generated by JBake. The source for the content lives in my techblog project in Github, so I have a full versioning of my content for the small price of a git workflow.

I installed JBake using the familiar SDKMan that I already use to manage my Grails and Groovy installations. I initialized it with the Groovy templating engine and have started customizing the templates.

To make sure this thing is easy to update, I keep a local clone of the repo, so I can update it any time and push whenever I’m ready. I have a shell script scheduled to run on the server which basically does:

cd techblog
git fetch
git merge | grep "Already" > /dev/null || jbake

That little bit of code only runs jbake if the git pull doesn’t say "Already up-to-date". That provided me a simple little "continuous integration" hook that polls git for changes to trigger the build. I’ll probably use this trick in other places.

I brought all my old content from my old database into the new platform using a quick little Groovy script to dump out an HTML file for each article including the header of metadata for JBake’s use. While most of these old articles will remain HTML, I intend to use AsciiDoctor format for all the new stuff.

I’ve been collecting a long list of (mostly technical) articles to write, but replacing the old platform kept trumping my attempts to write. Hopefully, this move can open the flood gates, and eventually, I’ll break out another instance of it for the photography blog. JBake should make it easy and interesting to continue the blogs.


All the Posts

April 2017

November 2016

January 2016