08 August 2005
I made a bit of chili a couple weeks ago over the fire, and it came out pretty well, so I wrote it down to make it my official recipe.
John's Chili (8 qt)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 58 oz canned plain tomato sauce
- 15.5 oz canned diced tomatos for chili
- 93 oz canned dark red kidney beans
- 31 oz canned black beans
- 1 onion
- 0.5 tomato
- 0.5 green bell pepper
- 0.5 yellow bell pepper
- 3 hot finger peppers
- 1 red chili pepper
- 0.25 cup minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Over medium heat (dutch oven 6 inches over coals), brown beef with 1 tbsp chili powder. Don't drain grease.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatos, beans.
- Chop and add fresh tomato, onion, and peppers.
- Add minced garlic, and other seasonings, including more chili powder, to taste.
- Adjust heat to boil slowly covered or uncovered, depending upon desired thickness.
- Stir occassionally, taste liberally, adjust, repeat.
- It'll probably cook for up to 2 hours.
Thanks to Stacey for photodocumenting the process.
All the Posts